1984 - Fire in No. 1 Ship Shop
5th July. A serious fire burnt out the north entrance to No 1 Ship Shop.
The original name was No. 1 Shipbuilding Shop but for some unknown reason the word building was dropped. This building was later to be known as the light plate shop. It was originally built in 1867 as the armoured plate Workshop. During the 1880’s an annex was added to the western end of the building. In 1950 it became the Shipwright Apprentices Training Centre (SATC) until the early 1960’s when the training centre moved to Flathouse. The annex then became the Welding Centre for the Ship Shop but was demolished in February 1985.