1964 - Departure of Coal Lighter C.1
January. Saw the departure of C.1. (Coal Lighter No.1
.) from Portsmouth
harbour. C.1. was the world’s largest coal lighter. Built under an Admiralty contract by Swan, Hunter & Wigham in 1901 and launched on 27th February 1902
; coming to Portsmouth
on 23rd June 1904
. She had the capacity to handle 12,000 tons of coal to hungry warships and for many years was a familiar sight in the harbour. She was towed to Hendik Ido, Ambacht, in the Netherlands
and broken up.