1915 - Launch of ROYAL SOVEREIGN
29th April. The last battleship to be built at
HMS Royal Sovereign was launched without ceremony. She was one of a class of five ships that were a slight improvement of the Queen Elizabeth class. But with the fear of wartime oil shortages the class reverted to coal and was converted to oil towards the end of 1914.
She missed most of the First World War but was active in the inter-war years. During the Second World War she served in the Home Fleet, Atlantic Convoys, Mediterranean and the Eastern Fleet. On 30th May 1944 she was lent to the Russian navy and re-named Arkangelsk returning to the Royal Navy on 5th April 1949. She was sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation and allocated to T. W. Ward & Co. Ltd. for scrapping arriving at Inverkeithing 18th May 1949.