1911 - Launch of KING GEORGE V
9th October. Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein launched the battleship HMS King George V from No 5 Slipway in the Dockyard. She was laid down as the Royal George but the name was change prior to launching.
Launchings from the Dockyard had always attracted large crowds and as each successive battleship was larger than the one before so the clamour to see the largest battleship in the world launched became greater, and often in the town launch days became a public holiday. She was a class of four ships the others being Ajax, Audacious & Centurion. The keel was laid down on 16th Jan 1911 the same day as the keel of Centurion at Devonport and completed in November 1912; Centurion did not complete until May 1913.
Commissioned November 1912 as Flagship Home Fleet. July 1914 Grand Fleet flagship 2nd BS. Was present at Jutland. Mediterranean 1919-1923. Flagship Devonport Reserve 1923-26 as gunnery ship. Sold 1926.