1893 - New Mould Loft Opened
The new Mould Loft was opened this year. It was built almost facing the Admiral Superintendent’s residence. It was 150 ft long by 100 ft wide and on its large open timber floor was where the lines and frame shapes of ships built in Portsmouth were lined off. The first ships lines to be laid off on its floor were for the Eclipse. It was enlarged in 1908. The building was demolished to make way for the Second Sea Lord’s headquarters in 1992.