1861 - Hydraulic Engine House Built
The Hydraulic Engine House that sits on the south eastern side of the Camber was built; it was designed by the Chief Engineer, John Murray, and extended in 1904. Its purpose was to pressurise the hydraulic system that served 8 cranes on the Watering Island, 9 capstans, 9 lifts and other machinery in the Chain Test House. It is now the only survivor of three such buildings in the Dockyard. The main problem with the hydraulic system was freezing of the water in the ring mains that fed the machinery during the winter time.