1847 - Steam Basin Caissons
6th October. The new iron caissons made by Fairbairns are ready. Capt. James RE was to report when he would be ready to receive them.
The original entrance to the Steam Basin was sealed off in 1874 and a new entrance created 500 feet to the east. Road repairs in January1984 to the old entrance revealed the original iron caisson still in place. A wall had been built on each side of the caisson and the space filled with shingle. After the road repair the caisson was again covered and is still in place to-day (2007).