1816 - School of Naval Architecture Opened
School of Naval Architecture for the Superior Class of Shipwright Apprentices, was opened. It was designed by Edmund Hall and built at a cost of £16,000.
Professor Inman was the President from 1816 to 1832 when the school closed. The general qualifications for shipwright apprentices were that he was at least 14 years of age, in good health and over 4 feet 10 inches tall. Their apprenticeship lasted seven years. Those en-rolled in the School to be trained as Master Shipwrights had to be at least 16 years of age and have a sound understanding of French and a good knowledge of the first six books of Euclid’s Elements. Apprentices had to pay a bond of £800 which was forfeited if the apprentice left Dockyard Service within 10 years of completing his apprenticeship. The building has been described as a pioneer in naval education and the direct ancestor of all subsequent Dockyard Technical Schools and Apprentice Training Centres. (Coad 1983.)
At various times the building has served as: a Residence, Port Admirals Office, School, War College, NATO and Naval HQ, C in C Western Fleet Offices and the Fleet Maintenance Authority.