1794 - Launch of HMS PRINCE OF WALES
28th June. King George III and Queen Charlotte visited Portsmouth to launch HMS “Prince of Wales” of 98 guns. She had been laid down nearly 10 years earlier.
After the launch the ship was taken in to dry dock and her bottom was coppered in the remarkable time of 9 hours. After see much action against the Spanish, Dutch and French she was paid off at Portsmouth and broken up in 1822. She was a sister ship to the Boyne. (See 1795).
The King and the Royal Family lodged at the Commissioners House in the Dockyard and later reviewed the fleet. The Commissioner at the time was Sir Charles Saxton.