1724 - Visit by Daniel Defoe

Daniel Defoe visited the town and described the Dockyard –

“The strength of the town is also considerably augmented on the land-side by fortifications raised in King William’s time about the docks and yards” and “These docks and yards are now like a town by themselves, and are a kind of marine corporation, or a government of their own kind within themselves; there being particular large rows of dwellings, built at the public charge, within the new works, for all the principal officers of the place: especially the commissioner, the agent of victualling… the tradesmen likewise have houses here and many of the labourers are allowed to live in the bounds as they can get lodging.”