1708 - Building of Porter’s Lodge
Porter’s Lodge built beside Main Gate built. This is the Dockyard’s oldest recognised building. The employment of a Dockyard Porter was initiated in 1649 by the first Admiralty Commissioner, Colonel Willoughby. The Porter was charged with guarding the security of the yard and its boundaries and as such commanded the watchmen. He was also responsible for ringing the muster bell and locking the gates of the dockyard against later comers. He had the perquisite of selling middling beer to the workmen of the yard. Middling beer was classed as beer that had been substantially watered down.