1704 - Building of a Dockyard ChapelDuring the visit of Queen Anne the Dockyard men petitioned the Queen that it was too far for them to go to St. Mary’s at Fratton during the day for divine services. In consequence they were granted permission to build a chapel in the dockyard on the Sail-Field; an area set aside for mending, washing and drying of sails. The chapel was voluntarily endowed by Dockyard men with a subscription of two pence per month to be deducted from the pay of every one working in the Dockyard,forever more. This was to be used to provide a stipend for the officiating Chaplain, an office held by the Chaplin in Ordinary. The chapel was known as the Chapel of Saint Ann. The first service was held
The chapel was demolished 10th March 1786 to make way for the new Commissioner’s residence.