Logo PORTSMOUTH ROYAL DOCKYARD HISTORICAL TRUST Logo

 

Home

History of Dockyard

Photo Gallery

 

The Great Docks

 

No. 5 Dock was opened in 1698 and is the oldest surviving dry dock in the Dockyard. It was lengthened in 1850.

"D" Lock is the newest, opening in 1914 on completion of the last great civil works.

Nos. 2, 3, 4 & 5 Docks are accessed from No.1 Basin; Nos. 8 & 11 from No. 2 Basin; and Nos. 12, 13, 14 & 15 from No.3 Basin. The remainder are accessed directly from tidal waters.

Nos. 7 & 10 Docks have been filled in. No. 13 Dock has been incorporated within VT's ship construction facility.

Blank