1987 - Arrival of HMS WARRIOR (1860)
16th June. Arrival of HMS “Warrior”, (1860) ironclad, and the only surviving British battleship. She had suffered years of neglect since being laid up in 1883 for use as part of HMS “Vernon”. The ship was superbly restored at Hartlepool from 1979 to 1987. Mr John Smith MP largely paid for the restoration which cost £7 million.