Loader

1937 - Navy Week

August. The First Lord, Mr Duff Cooper DSO. M.P., opened Portsmouth’s Navy Week and visited other naval establishments. He visited the site of the proposed new Naval Signal School off Northern Parade, The school had been in the naval barracks, but during the Second World War it moved out to Leydean House to become HMS Mercury and the Northern Parade site became the HMS Phoenix the navy fire fighting and damage control school. HMS Phoenix closed in 1997.(See 1938)