1930 - New Semaphore Tower Building
4th July. New Semaphore Tower, Rangefinder Test House and Rigging House was opened.
It was rebuilt on the foundation of the 1778 Rigging House and Sail loft destroyed by fire in 1913. Under the Semaphore Tower, the old Lion Gate (1778) was recreated to form “The Gateway to the Empire” leading on to South Railway Jetty. The mast to the Tower came from the German cruiser Nurnberg which had surrendered to the Grand Fleet off May Island on 21st May 1918.