1927 - Launch of LONDON
14th September. The Lady Mayoress of London performed the christening ceremony at the launching from No. 5 slipway in the Dockyard of the new cruiser HMS London.
Within six days the first keel plate of a new cruiser to be named Dorsetshire was laid on the same slipway by Mrs. L. A. B. Donaldson, wife of the Admiral Superintendent of the dockyard.
HMS London was rebuilt between 1939-41 after which she was employed in the Atlantic. In the aftermath of the Bismarck hunt she was operating with the destroyer Brilliant and intercepted the supply tankers Esso Hamberg and Esso Colon on the 4th June, and on the next day, the supply tanker Egerland. Finally on the 21st June she intercepted the supply ship Babitonga, all within the central Atlantic. She was broken up by T. W. Ward, Barrow in January 1950.