Loader

1871 - Removal of Lion Gate

The Lion Gate was removed this year when the fortification was demolished at the end of Queen Street. It was later re-erected as the gate way to Anglesey Barracks in Queen Street that later became the Naval Barracks. It proved too small and in consequence was replaced by the present gateway. The old Lion Gate was re-erected as Gate Way to the Empire under the Semaphore Tower in 1930. (See 1930)