1860 - Launch of PRINCE OF WALES
25th January. After nearly twelve years on the stocks the 131 gun ship of the line was launched and named Prince of Wales. She was laid down as a sailing ship but converted while building to a steam screw-ship. The figure-head of the Prince of Wales was carved by Messrs. Hellyer of Cosham. In 1869 she was renamed Britannia and used as the Royal Naval Training ship at Dartmouth - from where the Royal Naval College got its name. She was hulked in 1909 and later broken up at Blyth in 1916.