1850 - No. 9 Dock Opened
23rd August. No. 9 Dry Dock was opened at the North corner of the Dockyard. The Neptune of 120 guns was to be the first ship to be dry docked. But the tide did not rise enough and many of the spectators disappointingly departed; however she was docked the following day. This dry dock was a disappointment as it was found to be too shallow. It was eventually filled in and, on occasions of trench work in this area to-day, the top stones of the dock are often discovered to the amazement of the diggers. It is also the reason that the numbering of dry docks appears confusing as another dry dock built in the 1870’s was numbered 9 Dock.