Loader

1846 - Portsmouth to Gosport Telegraph

First electric telegraph cable laid between Portsmouth and Gosport.

Mr. Hay, a chemist in the High Street, Old Portsmouth, devoted much attention to electricity and lectured on the subject in and around Portsmouth. He was appointed Electrical Referee and lecturer in the Dockyard it was while holding this office he took part in the laying of the cable.