1844 - Salt Water Fire Station Completed
The Salt Water Tank (Fire Station) completed. It was first proposed in April 1842 by Lt. Beatson RE and the Master Shipwright Blake. It replaced Bentham’s wooden water tank.
Permission to erect the water tank was given in May 1842 and the contract for the iron work was awarded to Bramah & Fox of the London Iron Works. The ground work was awarded to Mr Bramble of Portsmouth, a local contractor who did a lot of work at this time in the steam extension of the Dockyard.