Loader

1844 - Electric Telegraph from London to Portsmouth

This year Cook and Wheatstone undertook a contract for 21 years at £1.500 a year to provide an electric telegraph between the Admiralty in London and Portsmouth Dockyard. The South-Western took half the shares in the scheme, which was completed in 1845 and, at that time, formed the longest and most important line in England

.