Loader

1813 - Launch of VINDICTIVE

23rd November. The launching of the 72 gun ship Vindictive from Portsmouth.

She was cut down to a 50 gun ship in 1833 and hulked in 1862, becoming a stores ship at Fernando Po in the Cameroons, West Africa. She foundered there in 1871 where her wreck was sold for £20 to a private buyer in 1872. She was one of the Armada class ships-of-the-line. They were numerically the largest class of battleships to be built, and known with little affection as the “forty thieves”.