Loader

1795 - Semaphore Service

16th July. Sir Charles Saxton, the Commissioner, wrote to the Navy Board that experiments were in hand for the establishment of a semaphore service to communicate with London. The stations were to be set up on Southsea Common and Portsdown Hill some five miles away. It is reported that the stations completed by the 8th August under the direction of the Reverend Campbell, Chaplin to the Duke of York. These were the first stations in a long line to London

.