1777 - No. 10 Storehouse & Other Dockyard Works
18th February. The contract was signed between Messrs Templar and Templar, and the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty for erecting the Middle Storehouse (No.10) and to take in hand the foundations of the intended Rigging House and Storehouse on the west side of the Camber.
The contract for No. 10 Store stated that they were to remove any redundant buildings on that site and use “Rubbish” to raise the ground. The new store was built in the Tuscan order and was to be 210 ft. X 51ft. No.10 was partially destroyed during the Second World War (1939-45) when the upper stories of the north wing were gutted by fire bombs with the loss of the fine cupola and clock, along with its fine old bell that was 3ft. in diameter, weighing 12 cwts 3 lbs and cost £120 when made. When it struck the hour it could be heard over much of
Reclaiming part of the western shoreline eased the traffic flow within the yard at the western end of the Ropehouse, whose great length virtually cut the yard in two. Its western end sat almost on the shoreline and the eastern end had been built into the old bastion fortifications which were at the eastern limit of the dockyard. True, in demolishing the fortifications and building the Dockyard Wall, more land had been gained in this area because the wall had been built to the outer field works of the fortification, The great length of the Rope-house,1094 ft., was very necessary for the standard length of rope was 100 fathoms or 600ft. A building of about 1000ft. was needed to allow the yarn to contract in its twisting when being laid to achieve a comfortable 600ft.
The bottom and sides to the old North Dock was renewed at a cost of £14,000.