Loader

1758 Capture of FOUDROYANT

Admiral Saunders arrived at Spithead with captured French ships “Foudroyant” (84 guns) and “Orpheus” (64 guns). 1,000 French prisoners of war were lodged in Portchester Castle.

(Note: the above “Foudroyant” was wrecked on Blackpool Beach in 1897. The present “Foudroyant” was originally named “Trincomalee” and only renamed after the loss of the first “Foudroyant”. The latter ship was loaded onto a barge with “Minerva” and towed to Hartlepool in July 1987 for restoration.)