1754 - Report by Dr Richard Pococke
Dr Richard Pococke mentions “a large brewhouse, bakehouse and cooperage for the Dock(yard) “in the town, he also mentions “a well in the Dock(yard) at which ships water”. He describes the Gunwharf “in which are two Chinese Pagods (?Pagodas) seven feet high, with the heads of lyons, as on a sort of pillar, all of one piece of grey granite, brought by Commodore Anson (see 1739/40) and placed here”. He describes the docks – “Most of the Docks are lined with Portland stone and are staunched with clay brought from Stamsay (Stamshaw) nearby. They have from 1,000 to 1,500 men employed in the yard; it is curious to see them go out at the toll of a bell at
and night, when every one may take out useless pieces of wood and chips, (see 1638) as much as they can carry under the arm, and small chips in bags, which are examined with a wooden crow, and all of them observed to see they do not take out iron, or anything valuable. It is curious also to see the forges where they make the anchors the largest weigh about 80 hundred weight that is four tonnes, which are worked with machines to move them. The ropeyard is 102 fathoms in length (612 ft; 186.5m) they join three lengths to make the longest cable, which is 306 fathoms (1,836ft) and 23 inches (584mm) round, consequently about 8 inches in diameter, consists of 3,000 threads (yarns) and weights five tons.The main yard of a first rate man-of-war is 23 ¾ inches (603mm) and 33 (ft) long and the bowsprit is 36 inches in diameter (914mm) and the main mast 38” (965mm). The Academy (see 1729-32) is a handsome building for 50 youths to be instructed in the theory and practice of Navigation”…Pococke refers to a “very noble hospital for the sick” at Gosport (Haslar Hospital see 1746) “one (wing) of which is almost complete”.