1650 - The Portsmouth launched
46 gun ship “Portsmouth” (600 tons) launched here. Between 1649 and 1659 the Commonwealth built 207 new warships. Shipwrights ordered not to remove oddments of timber from the Dockyard and were paid one penny a day extra for loss of this perquisite known as “chips”.
Dockyard employed 100 shipwrights but there was no Dry Dock or Mast Houses and only one team of horses.