1539 - Map of Portsmouth
Early map of Portsmouth town, showing houses, 4 great brewing houses for naval beer, and the names of property owners. In 1540 John Leland, antiquary and spy for the King, described Portsmouth’s fortifications as having earth walls and ditches. He described the “great dock for ships‟ as ¼ mile above Round Tower & in the dock were the ribs of “Henry Grace à Dieu” (1,000 tons) built 1514, rebuilt 1536-39. She was destroyed by fire in 1553; but was the greatest ship of her period.